Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
tips for shooting fish in an aquarium
Hi guys,

I got some small size fish in my aquqrium and I intend to take some pictures for them

the aquarium isn't huge (80X40X60cm) same goes to the fish all smaller than 10cm

how do u suggest I do the lighting ? What lenses to use ?

and now for specific fish tips

I have albino corrydoras that are white and stay in the tank bottom I have a gravel bottom and that doesn't make a lot of contrast

I have small moving fish: gourami swortails plattys and neons that will be easy but also I have some crazy danios and glofish that are always moving at torpedo speed how to get them correctly ?

awaiting your tips
[quote name='toni-a' timestamp='1337849151' post='18475']

Hi guys,

I got some small size fish in my aquqrium and I intend to take some pictures for them

the aquarium isn't huge (80X40X60cm) same goes to the fish all smaller than 10cm

how do u suggest I do the lighting ? What lenses to use ?

and now for specific fish tips

I have albino corrydoras that are white and stay in the tank bottom I have a gravel bottom and that doesn't make a lot of contrast

I have small moving fish: gourami swortails plattys and neons that will be easy but also I have some crazy danios and glofish that are always moving at torpedo speed how to get them correctly ?

awaiting your tips

[/quote]

NO experience with shooting fish... But two things come to (my) mind... With fast moving subjects that you can not "focus track": Shoot with continuous shooting. Then you have a much bigger chance to end up with a good frame.

And maybe trap focus is a thing to explore. Trap focus lets the camera shoot once a subject comes into focus. Handy to have a remote shutter for this, that you can hold down while waiting...

You can use trap focus with your Canon EOS 30D by taping the right most contact of the lens (with contacts on the bottom) with a tiny piece of cellotape. When you keep your lens in "AF" setting, and in "one shot" AF mode, the camera will only fire if focus confirmation is reached. But with taping the right most contact, the lens can not autofocus.

The result will be that the camera waits with taking a photo till a fish swims into focus under the selected focus point.