Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Very detailed test of Fuji X Pro 1 and lenses
This very interesting test also shows the strengths of the 3 lenses;

[url="http://www.digitalkamera.de/Meldung/Labor-Bildqualitaetstest_der_Fujifilm_X-Pro1_mit_allen_Objektiven/7686.aspx"]http://www.digitalkamera.de/Meldung/Labor-Bildqualitaetstest_der_Fujifilm_X-Pro1_mit_allen_Objektiven/7686.aspx[/url]

I recommend the reading!
[quote name='Vieux loup' timestamp='1334608265' post='17545']

This very interesting test also shows the strengths of the 3 lenses;

[url="http://www.digitalkamera.de/Meldung/Labor-Bildqualitaetstest_der_Fujifilm_X-Pro1_mit_allen_Objektiven/7686.aspx"]http://www.digitalka...tiven/7686.aspx[/url]

I recommend the reading!

[/quote]

They are assuming distortion auto-correction for the 18/2. Interesting.

However, I don't think that this is responsible for a DRASTIC decrease of corner resolution.
No, but it intesresting to see a seemingly very systematic and in depth test and that finds the 60mm the best lens. Most other tests I have seen have declared the 35mm the better lens, but nobody has really measured the results until these guys came along; There is by the way a super test of the D800 as well.
[quote name='Vieux loup' timestamp='1334658106' post='17555']

No, but it intesresting to see a seemingly very systematic and in depth test and that finds the 60mm the best lens.

[/quote]

I would advise to stay clear of the term "The better lens". To me the sharpest, optically most perfect lens is absolutly useless if it doesnt autofocus reliably and quickly in low light at least in one-shot-mode. The 60mm seems to have issues here. Since even phase detect af systems can struggle when shooting portraits wide open outside a controlled studio environment, this lens is probably not good for street portraiture despite its nice focal length and optical qualities.

Since the lens is also a pig when it comes to manual focus, I have a hard time to imagine any tpe of photogrphay where it can truly excel. Even for macro photorphy I would be hestitant to use it, since photogrphy is not only about the end result but also about enjoying the process. A lens which is cumbersome to focus manually is certainly not enjoyable to use Better get a third party macro with an adpater. YouLl get good quality and better handling.
Agree with you jenbenn, but since their test was a labo test, the conclusions can only be applied to that environment. On the other hand, Fuji is expected to work on this with sofware updates and assuming they succeed, I'd rather start with a lens that is optically very good. After all, this is just the beginning of this story. A colleague of mine who does war reporting all over the world has just sold his 5D MKII and bought Fujis and his comment is that you work around the weaknesses if the fundaments are good enough. He believes a lot of reporters will follow him, because the Leica is too expensive and the the DSLR's are too heavy. He uses mostly 35 and 50mm optics and feels the 18 and 35 Fuji do the job well. He has just left for a report on Morocco for Stern.
[quote name='Vieux loup' timestamp='1334760487' post='17574']

Agree with you jenbenn, but since their test was a labo test, the conclusions can only be applied to that environment. On the other hand, Fuji is expected to work on this with sofware updates and assuming they succeed, I'd rather start with a lens that is optically very good. After all, this is just the beginning of this story. A colleague of mine who does war reporting all over the world has just sold his 5D MKII and bought Fujis and his comment is that you work around the weaknesses if the fundaments are good enough. He believes a lot of reporters will follow him, because the Leica is too expensive and the the DSLR's are too heavy. He uses mostly 35 and 50mm optics and feels the 18 and 35 Fuji do the job well. He has just left for a report on Morocco for Stern.

[/quote]

I am actually considering moving into the mirrorless segment as well. I just returned from shoooting in India with my 5d Mark II. There were two huge issues that really bugged me about the cam: One was the unreliable autofocus and the second was the huge size and weight of the equipment which scares my subjects and wears me down. I really long for a small, light weight camera with an opitcal viewfinder. Its just that without a good Af it doesnt make sense. I shoot a lot of portraits with large aperture lenses and focus needs to be nailed very precisly on the eyes in difficult lighenting conditions. It also has to be quick to capture the moment. So far, only the olympus and panasonic AF systems fullfill my requirements. Unfortunately their sensors are a bit to noisy for my taste and m4/3 doesnt not give you as much background blur as APS-C and fullframe. Right now I decided to wait and see what comes. I also consider moving to a Rebel/600D body just because of the smaller size and weight. This one looks actually like a nice compromise. Af system like 5D, optical viewfinder, smaller body, smaller lenses, APS-C sensor. It just feels odd to exchange a 5d for a Rebel.
[quote name='jenbenn' timestamp='1334818866' post='17587']

I am actually considering moving into the mirrorless segment as well. I just returned from shoooting in India with my 5d Mark II. There were two huge issues that really bugged me about the cam: One was the unreliable autofocus and the second was the huge size and weight of the equipment which scares my subjects and wears me down. I really long for a small, light weight camera with an opitcal viewfinder. Its just that without a good Af it doesnt make sense. I shoot a lot of portraits with large aperture lenses and focus needs to be nailed very precisly on the eyes in difficult lighenting conditions. It also has to be quick to capture the moment. So far, only the olympus and panasonic AF systems fullfill my requirements. Unfortunately their sensors are a bit to noisy for my taste and m4/3 doesnt not give you as much background blur as APS-C and fullframe. Right now I decided to wait and see what comes. I also consider moving to a Rebel/600D body just because of the smaller size and weight. This one looks actually like a nice compromise. Af system like 5D, optical viewfinder, smaller body, smaller lenses, APS-C sensor. It just feels odd to exchange a 5d for a Rebel.

[/quote]

The Olympus E-M5 is not noisy. So that could be an option for you, maybe. Not a camera for me though, with its 4x4 format. And its EVF. And I would miss my 70-200mm f4 L USM. And the most interesting primes for it are MF only.

So for me it would be a 600D.
[quote name='jenbenn' timestamp='1334818866' post='17587']

[/quote]

The Oly 45/1.8 and the upcoming Oly 75/1.8 may be what you're looking for in the terms of speed. Nothing comparable to a prime on a FF DSLR, of course, but not that bad either. The (static) AF is already as fast as it gets on Oly/Pana and accuracy is a primary feature of contrast AF cameras anyway. Just don't exepct wonders in terms of AF tracking.

Alternatively Samsung and Fuji may be worth a thought - although Fuji lacks AF speed at this stage. Quality-wise you wouldn't give up anything compared to a 5D II here (Fuji) if we can believe the Augurs.

[quote name='jenbenn' timestamp='1334818866' post='17587']Af system like 5D[/quote]

If you are unhappy with the AF performance of the 5D it is unlikely that a Rebel model is going to please you.
[quote name='Sammy' timestamp='1334823460' post='17591']

If you are unhappy with the AF performance of the 5D it is unlikely that a Rebel model is going to please you.

[/quote]

I know. However it also wont be worse compared to the 5D. At least I would achieve the compactness factor with a Rebel. Actuallty the most ideal camera for me would be the Fuji, if they got their af on Panasonic's level.