Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rumours about Canon mirrorless...
Quote:A 500 mm Tele doesn't react on a difference of 0.06 mm (that's what ± 0.03 means  Wink ) With a (heavy) wide-angle, it's another thing. Mind you, you did not measure the play between mount and lens. This adds as well as the play between adapter and lens. So very soon you come to Â± 0.3 mm if it comes worst to worst.

Sure you can buy, measure and send back to some extent. If you have enough nerves to spend on this selection...
 There is absolutely no movement with the 500 and the tele/ camera body. I hate any sort of lens play!

I have a Pentax K to M42 adapter, (chrome brass non Pentax) it had quite a bit of movement between the camera bayonet and the adapter, (pentacon bokeh monster)  I isolated the cause and rectified it by hammering the adapter by flattening the mount so the "lugs" were closer to the flange, the play disappeared!

As for buying testing and return/keep..........is there any other method?

As a matter of interest , how many adapters do you own JoJu? 

Dave's clichés
Depending on your count: If you ask for mirrorless Nikon adapters: not more than you. The TC17 has some play and most lenses as well, be it Nikon or Sigma. Everything else would surprise me. They have to turn in the bayonet. This is not possible without some play. For Fuji, there's also the converter for the 100-400 and the metabones to Nikon adapter.

But who am I to tell a mount blacksmith about play?  :lol:

thxbb12, I know what you mean with the ND filter. In the Canon G10-11-12 it's inbuilt which I found very clever and useful. I'm not complaining about the Fuji method to readout with lower amplification or higher scanning speed (don't know what's technically going on), but in reality it doesn't freeze as much as a mechanical 1/8000 does.

The 56/1.2 APD did come with a ND filter for that reason. The electronically shutter was not so fast when they put the package together.

JoJu wrote:

"Depending on your count: If you ask for mirrorless Nikon adapters: not more than you. The TC17 has some play and most lenses as well, be it Nikon or Sigma. Everything else would surprise me. They have to turn in the bayonet. This is not possible without some play. For Fuji, there's also the converter for the 100-400 and the metabones to Nikon adapter."

I find this strange, I have been checking fpr play and  slack here in my lenses and tele-converters and extension tubes, apart from a little " Rotational play" which is normal for any lens and is due to the lens locking pin elongating the lens locating hole, I found nothing, and being heavy lenses this would be a worse case scenario,  I hope this is not the play you are talking about?

Just to be clear, as you say, there has to be some "clearance" between each bayonet, however well manufactured this can be  very minimal (a few microns), to the point that there is "no perceptible movement" experienced.

A ball race has a clearance for example, but it shouldn't have any play. (within it's designed usage)

I've just checked the Tammy 150-600 mm and the Nikon 500mm with or without the tele-converter+ the Sigma macro, nothing other than a tiny rotation.

We have to limit the description of play as a general looseness/ slack; angular/lateral/verticle/horizontal slack, normally there should be none. 

So just to be clear;

<p style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">                                           I hope we are not talking about rotational play here! 

Dave's clichés
No, we're not talking about any rotational movement. How did you check the clearance or play? Camera mounted on solid tripod head or lens and body in hands? Holding both in hands I don't feel any play. Putting the body (or the long lens) on a solid tripod head I can move the lens up and down a little bit.

I just checked play by checking movement of the lens on camera.......the animal process!  :o

However, with a heavy tele, be it the Nikon or the Tamron, any sort of "movement" when clambering around in the wild, play becomes immediately apparent, the V1 Tammy had the tiniest bit in the lens-hood, it was so slight, but you felt it, very annoying!

I think you have been a little unlucky there JoJu.........don't Rolex make F mount adapters?  Tongue

Dave's clichés
Sure. At Rolex prices or Chinese "genuine Rolex" copies?