Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rumours about Canon mirrorless...
Quote:What 2500$ camera?

Used A7RII where I live. OK maybe 2200$.

My question was related to the fact that the Metabones work with the a6*00's too...

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Yeah but why would I use Canon's designed for FF lenses on an APS-C body, except for sports and wildlife which I never do? Almost none of them make any sense on APS-C.

Quote:Eh, Metabones is quite impressive but I'm not getting a 2500$ camera to exploit that performance Wink

You think a Canon FF mirrorless camera would be cheaper than Sony ? The M5 doesn't really suggest that ...
Like you said it in the other tread the cheap times are over. The whole industry is changing the model now to low unit volume and high price. I wander where exactly will be the divider between good camera and the cheep camera. $1500 or $2000?

Or should I say $1500 is the new cheap.

Quote:Yeah but why would I use Canon's designed for FF lenses on an APS-C body, except for sports and wildlife which I never do? Almost none of them make any sense on APS-C.

But some Metabones adapters have the "speed boster"...

Cheap times are over because of cellullar phones. People wanting cheap stuff for taking photos will use them - I presume also some kind of compact camera will stay on the market. On the other hand, the shrinking market for serious stuff probably requires higher prices for ensuring revenues. Not happy about that, but that's life.
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Again, "cheap" comes at a price - and a smartphone with decent camera around 300 -1000$ doesn't fit my definition of "cheap". Putting selfies on whatsapp or cat-pictures on twitter is a different clientele - these people would not use clumsy, complicated dedicated cameras for that, it's just a waste of time.

Quote:A mirrorless camera with EF mount seems really very stupid. The achievable size advantages would all be gone. The "empty deep hole" serves no purpose. An adapter solution would be "good enough" for keeping EF compatibility really. If they really chose EF for their mirrorless camera it will hurt them on the long term. 

Pentax tried to do that with the K-01 if you remember that one. It failed miserably.
I think the last statement should simply be Pentax failed miserably. I don't think that is a useful example to say a DSLR-mount mirrorless would fail, since their actual DSLRs aren't selling either outside the few units to remaining system users.

The one feature that would sell me a new body is better AF tracking. DSLRs are far from perfect, and I'm not convinced mirrorless have caught up. Videos I've seen showing how mirrorless is as good as DSLRs are simplistic and not challenging scenarios e.g. predictable, large targets. I think using image data processing techniques could eventually allow mirrorless to surpass DSLRs but we're not there yet. Combined with longer lenses, body size is far from my list of priorities.
<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Any rumor that claims that Canon would be making an FF mirrorless with EF mount, is nonsense.

Quote:Mirrorless lenses are only smaller when it comes to ultra-wide to wide-angle lenses. All the rest is essentially as big as comparable DSLR lenses of the same format. Mirrorless cameras are smaller, of course.

A mirrorless camera with EF mount seems really very stupid. The achievable size advantages would all be gone. The "empty deep hole" serves no purpose. An adapter solution would be "good enough" for keeping EF compatibility really. If they really chose EF for their mirrorless camera it will hurt them on the long term. 

Pentax tried to do that with the K-01 if you remember that one. It failed miserably.

Also - only STM lenses are aligned for serious use on a mirrorless camera. USM lenses will be a compromise at best in terms of AF performance.
  To apply some of Klaus's thoughts to Nikon,  there is also a whole bunch of Nikonites advocating the F mount for a new Nikon ML camera, Matt Granger is putting out a plea to Nikon as well.

To me it seems suicidal to go ML with the F mount, my thoughts:

Huge Registration distances mean longer lenses.

No chance of mounting legacy lenses from say Canon/Pentax and a whole bunch of other mounts.

Unnecessary thick bodies, leading to unattractive and boxy designs that look clumsy and inelegant.

Lenses that weren't deigned for ML operate less well.(as per Klaus)

Having an adapter would solve all the problems, F mount lenses could mount with all automations, additional adapters allow mounting of most other forms and makes of glass.

A new mount would give more compact bodies and give the possibility of design from the ground up, giving full performance to ML lenses.

A new mount means the ability to "sell a new range of lenses" and the F mount could continue it's current role serving the DSLR.

It amazes me that so many Nikonites advocate the continued adoption of the F mount for ML purely because they have a vested interest in their F mount lenses on their current DSLRs....

.....to the point where they actually "crusade" for it's retention rather than looking forward to Nikon's future with the ML  system...........total shortsightedness IMHO.

The K-01 was such an animal, having a boxy body, it looked like and was nicknamed, "the brick"! Pentax in their wisdom thought that the design could actually achieve a 'premium tariff" because of it's forward thinking.....after it's launch it's price had to drop "massively" in order to clear the shelves.

To be fair to the K-01, it had a lot going for it at the time, but the lack of viewfinder and it's slow clunky AF was the additional nail in it's coffin!  

Pentax had dipped their toe into the water of the Dead Sea!

I'm just sure that Nikon will not take the same route..... they must bring out a system that is competitive with Fuji and Sony, both in size lens range and performance...

Nikon has already a huge call to make to catch up with Sony.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(As a BTW, my K-01 was sold to friend who drowned it with a burst pipe incident, it spend two days underwater, left at 60° C, it dried out of a week and now functions fine as does it's three lenses and a Samsung GX10.)

Amazing!

Dave's clichés