Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Olympus spins off its camera business ...
(06-25-2020, 07:54 AM)you2 Wrote: Oh well. Was ok while it lasted. At least there is still Fuji. I guess this also means panasonic will (if they haven't already) cease micro 4/3 development.

Panasonic does pretty well in the "using stills cameras for video" segment. Olympus has a pretty high market share in Japan (more than double that of Fuji and Panasonic). The issue is that Olympus' camera division is not profitable, probably more to do with the financial scandal (2011) and the resulting debt than with selling cameras and lenses with a profit.

If Olympus will actually disappear (due to this really bad PR), Panasonic can gain some of the marketshare Olympus will lose.
I like what this poster wrote about the sale to JIP:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64075472

In summary: that's almost certainly the end of Olympus, unfortunately.
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(06-25-2020, 09:12 AM)thxbb12 Wrote: I like what this poster wrote about the sale to JIP:

Yikes, that is very bleak.
(06-25-2020, 08:42 AM)Klaus Wrote: You know what's funny?

Hours prior to the announcement I ordered an E-M5 III kit.
But yes, I cancelled the order ...
I understand the feeling.

However, the quality of the camera has not become less due to this announcement Smile.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
(06-25-2020, 09:25 AM)wim Wrote:

However, the quality of the camera has not become less due to this announcement Smile.

Kind regards, Wim

Well, if you have the choice between Panasonic and Olympus ... what's the more sensible choice now (if MFT at all)?

What I'm really pissed off about (as an Olympus shooter, not as a reviewer) - during the last months they mentioned several times that they will not sell. 

I could have lived with a spin-off where they remain the (majority) owner. However, having seen what JIP did to VAIO (having owned a VAIO laptop back in the days), I'll not be along for the ride with them.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
(06-25-2020, 09:12 AM)thxbb12 Wrote: I like what this poster wrote about the sale to JIP:

Great link and post !! 

So this is about Olympus "paying out" to JIP to take any legal responsibility off their own hands as an    "alternative to filing for bankruptcy" !  ......... 
 JIP will then tie up any legal loose ends in the guise of mounting a re-float to a likely non-existant buyer to continue the brand name under the newly created company of "Newco"..... mounted uniquely as a buffer from Olympus's limited company financial responsibilities.
....... whereupon after a period of time with no takers .... the whole re-float plan can be declared as unsuccessful and Newco as a company is declared bankrupt, (having existed in only manikin form) ....... everybody washes their hands of the whole business ........ and Olympus lives to fight another day with their medical division.

....... and the rest will become tomorrow's Wiki history !!

It must not be forgotten that Olympus went through a money scam some years back where they were moving monies from the camera/medical division until the events came to light.

I knew bankruptcy was in the game somewhere ..... but it's Newco that will be probably filing for it!!

(06-25-2020, 10:25 AM)Klaus Wrote:

Kind regards, Wim

Well, if you have the choice between Panasonic and Olympus ... what's the more sensible choice now (if MFT at all)?

What I'm really pissed off about (as an Olympus shooter, not as a reviewer) - during the last months they mentioned several times that they will not sell. 

I could have lived with a spin-off where they remain the (majority) owner. However, having seen what JIP did to VAIO (having owned a VAIO laptop back in the days), I'll not be along for the ride with them.

Well they were right they didn't sell out ....... they bought their way out !!  Smile
Dave's clichés
(06-25-2020, 10:25 AM)Klaus Wrote:

Kind regards, Wim

Funnily enough, I still own 2 VAIOs, from before the Sony sell-off, although I also own 2 HP Spectras these days "Smile.

It looks like it is still going to be business as usual this year regarding Olympus. I heard from a very reliable source they are still going ahead with any releases they planned this year, as per the schedule.
Also, their products generally last a (very) long time, so personally I see no reason to divest, or not invest. I still would like one specific Oly lens to complete my MFT setup, and this won't stop me buying it Smile.

Personally, I do prefer Oly over Panansonic, because I like the results from my Oly gear better than what I get from Panasonic - not bad, but different - and since I am not someone shooting video .... Smile

Of course I am still invested in Canon as well, and that won't change either. I did sell the used Phase One (rebranded Mamiya really) I got, however. It was just too bulky, and parts are totally unavailable except for the newer models which are not affordable for "normal" people anayway.

Kind regards, Wim
Gear: Canon EOS R with 3 primes and 2 zooms, 4 EF-R adapters, Canon EOS 5 (analog), 9 Canon EF primes, a lone Canon EF zoom, 2 extenders, 2 converters, tubes; Olympus OM-D 1 Mk II & Pen F with 12 primes, 6 zooms, and 3 Metabones EF-MFT adapters ....
"It looks like it is still going to be business as usual this year regarding Olympus" 

I doubt that very much .... selling off stock ...... at cut prices ...... but who's going to spend out on a doomed system ?

Olympus won't want to be spending good money after bad ...... they are in damage limitation mode!!
Dave's clichés
@Klaus, maybe a few months from now, we'll be able to buy a brand new E-M5 mk III for a $300 which would be a great deal even if Oly is gone ;-)
--Florent

Flickr gallery
(06-25-2020, 10:53 AM)davidmanze Wrote: "It looks like it is still going to be business as usual this year regarding Olympus" 

I doubt that very much .... selling off stock ...... at cut prices ...... but who's going to spend out on a doomed system ?

Olympus won't want to be spending good money after bad ...... they are in damage limitation mode!!
Business as usual as in that they will still deliver the lenses etc. that already are in the pipeline, like the 150-400, etc.

That's basically what my source told me.

As to spending good money after bad, best read up on the Japanese way of working and what they have to do and cannot do. They cannot stop the process from one day to next, which is why they have to sell to a company like JIP. It is a bit different to, e.g, US companies.

Regards, Wim