Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sigma 15mm f/1.4 DG DN ART announced
The astro gang seems to rave about this one

https://www.sigma-global.com/en/lenses/a024_15_14/

Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
I was hoping for a zoom fisheye in the vein of the old Tokina 10-17 though. :-)
Sigma has already 14mmf1.4 ART or am I wrong ?
Does this lens add anything ??
The 15mm is a fisheye.
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
And they have a 16mm f/1.4 lens as well... Big Grin
(but that one is for APS-C of course)
(02-22-2024, 12:08 PM)stoppingdown Wrote: The 15mm is a fisheye.

ahh that makes a lot of sense now, I thought it was rectilinear after Klaus said astro guys would love it.
Anyway IMHO  a shallow DOF is totally irrelevant on a fisheye ....
Who says anything about shallow DOF? No, it's all about that light gathering ability... Actually, I think it makes a lot of sense; the bigger DOF of the wide angle lens will mask some of the DOF loss at 1.4 and make the lens more practical because it won't have a few millimeters in focus and the rest blurred to various degrees (unless focused very close, of course).
... two grand ..... for a fish eye ..... that kills it for all but rich astro shooters

personally I found the Laowa 10mm F2.8 with near zero distortion a lot more fun .....

Cassy's review on Camera conspiracies ..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgntkGwt6gc

The Laowa is f/2.8 - and with 5 stops of vignetting, as Klaus has demonstrated. Not in the same ballpark for hardcore astro I would say (though it looks fantastic for landscape and cityscape shooting stopped down to f/5.6 or thereabouts... which is a different use case).
(02-24-2024, 10:00 AM)Rover Wrote: The Laowa is f/2.8 - and with 5 stops of vignetting, as Klaus has demonstrated. Not in the same ballpark for hardcore astro I would say (though it looks fantastic for landscape and cityscape shooting stopped down to f/5.6 or thereabouts... which is a different use case).

Well, maybe not in the same ballpark as hardcore astro, but it's still a fish-eye nonetheless, many get bored with the inevitable distortion that makes most images look more about fisheye than anything else ....

As you say it's real strong point is keeping the verticals vertical for cityscapes and the like, to me that makes for better photos in the real world ....... and for nearly a third of the price .....