•  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next 
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lenstip review of the Sigma A 105mm F1.4 HSM.
A standard zoom is only a work horse for people who document things. The portrait zooms (70-200mm) have a wider application. For professional artistic portrait photographers, often primes are the tools of choice. Like the Canon 85mm f1.2/1.4 and that 135mm f2. And of course, the Zeiss lenses (milvus/Otus), the Sigma art lenses and now even the Samyang 85mm f1.2.

If one can handle a 70-200mm f2.8, one can handle the modern heavy primes too. Obviously, a personal choice.
Now I know how Matt Granger felt when holding this thing. And I also know where my limits are in terms of handholding a mass of lens and try to aim at a focus point. The first shots are very promising, sharpness is great and AFMA was just around a tiny bit over 0 - I'd say within normal PDAF tolerances with wide open lenses.

I would be very very surprised if I buy that transportation and logistics challenge. Finding a bag already is not so easy. Comments about filter size M105 are one thing, but storing the 13 cm lens hood is another story. It's enough space to park a full frame camera in it. Big Grin

[Image: i-9Mp8H7Z-L.jpg]

The rental came with a WR protector. Which is already a bit battered. Apart form weigh and storage space - it's not very practical to make a lens change (without a little fork lifter). I need force and fine motor skills. Last time I held such a proportion was the Nikkor 200/2.0 - and that ons comes with VR...

I'm looking forward to the Nikkor which is more the size of a shorter 135/1.8.
It seems that you are still struggling with dilemma  about this "excellent" lens.
I've tried to help you and asked an question. For you and Brightcolors was self evident that ultimate quality is priority nr 1.
Sigma art series makes fantastic lenses especially for your - insane IQ, price that many amateur can afford..
Yes it is heavy it, it is awakful and fragile, but who cares - remember in the past we have another crazy group of guys. - People with Large format cameras - they ware walking with 25kg equipment, their cameras ware complicated and fragile too. The development cycle in that areas was also moved with slow pace,But they ware prod that they can made pictures with the bast IQ. Even more they think that they ware the best photographers.
The times moves on, lage format died but that group of people still exist.  Here we are Sigma serves them.
For me you question is simple - Do you need ultimate IQ?
If yes - prepare to carry 25kg equipment and doubt anymore.
[Image: f-stoppers-4x5-film-main.jpg]
You have exaggerated as well as false ideas and draw conclusions far from reality. It is a pity that there is no point in correcting them, because you actually want to remain in your world of thoughts. And they don't know any "Art" lenses from own experience, so I don't understand why you want to join in the discussion here. If you don't even understand the difference between large format field cameras (which are far away from 25kg) and lenses for comparatively tiny FX-format. I'm not struggling but even if I were I doubt your advice would be helpful.

For all others except miro: I tried to find a tiny advantage which would, together with the costs of ⅔ of the Nikkor, justify buying Sigma this particular time, at this particular FL/aperture combination. The only I can imagine: You have no Nikon FX camera and are very sure that 105 mm is the only working portrait FL for your work. As far as I can see, the Sigma is every bit as good as the Nikkor, has visibly less vignetting, equally great bokeh and rather biting sharpness. Both lenses failed gloriously, when a friend tried to focus them manually - he is used to Leica and he dogmatically focuses manually Smile The eyes I autofocused on were always sharper. In one night shot with some harsh front light the Nikkor disappointed me. But in general, Matt Granger isn't far off my findings Big Grin
(08-01-2018, 07:40 AM)miro Wrote: It seems that you are still struggling with dilemma  about this "excellent" lens.
I've tried to help you and asked an question. For you and Brightcolors was self evident that ultimate quality is priority nr 1.
Sigma art series makes fantastic lenses especially for your - insane IQ, price that many amateur can afford..
Yes it is heavy it, it is awakful and fragile, but who cares - remember in the past we have another crazy group of guys. - People with Large format cameras - they ware walking with 25kg equipment, their cameras ware complicated and fragile too. The development cycle in that areas was also moved with slow pace,But they ware prod that they can made pictures with the bast IQ. Even more they think that they ware the best photographers.
The times moves on, lage format died but that group of people still exist.  Here we are Sigma serves them.
For me you question is simple - Do you need ultimate IQ?
If yes - prepare to carry 25kg equipment and doubt anymore.
[Image: f-stoppers-4x5-film-main.jpg]

Large format cameras usually cost a fraction of what you've stated, 4x5 cameras like you've shared can be even lighter than a full sized DSLR + the Sigma lens we're talking about. Moreover, you don't carry them on a strap around your neck. You just load them in a backpack and unpack them on location. Therefore, they are much easier to carry than some DSLR systems.

Please notice I haven't included the weight of the tripod you'd need Wink.
I have no issue manually focussing due to the focus screen I put in my 6D. But I bet the focus of that Sigma is quite spot on on the 6D. And indeed, I could mount the Nikkor on my 6D but would not be able to close down the aperture when/if desired. Both for sure have a nicer (background) bokeh than my 135mm f2.8. And for now, I am not quite a 85mm on FF FOV person. That can evolve over time, of course. But it will be some time till I can afford some toy like that Sigma 105mm f1.4, though.And since it is a toy and not a always take along lens, the weight is less important.

My large I wonder if my large format camera weighs more than 1 kg... Still have not found a relatively easy way to make it digital, though. And soon I'll again work on the software for my very large format camera.
Both lenses are just jumping into focus, but although the manual focus ring is geared, it's a rather short turn from 1 m to ∞ . Especially at close distance it's a challenge to me as well as my friend to focus on the eye. The eye itself, what does that mean? Focusing on the eyelash? Or the reflection on the dark part of the eye which is in a complete different focus plane than the eyelash.

That's the moment when the heavier lens can become difficult to manoeuvre into the right spot.

Some samples will follow, sometime.
I think miro was referring to travelling photogs who developed their images there and then on the street, with all the developing kit and all!

Looking at the 5X4" camera reminded me that the Linhoff Technica plate camera I found at the flea market is doing sterling service at my friends studio....he is also the new owner of the camera.

The rigours of black and white printing in digital photography are apparent when trying to get a colour cast free black and white prints to a professional standard.........one would have thought it would have been easy.........

.....even after using professional printing services ......at best there always remains some sort of slight tint or another.

The traditional B+W silver print has no rival!
And I think, this thread is not about going 4×5" OR a 105/1.4. He doesn't have own experiences in both of it and unfortunately that's very clear.
@DavidManze - yes I'm talking about the real life situation. Everybody who has used Large Format canera know that setup includes – LF camera +lens, tripod, shedar, 2–5 sheets, 35mm camera + few film rolls for test shoots- mostly for correct lighting, developer and stopper.

@JJ_SO : have fun and enjoy of your life. Keep in mind that I’m far away from idea that one high MP camera and heavy lens with the best Internet reviews is enough make great picture . it seems that you know more than me, sorry I cannot help you :-)

[Image: stages-of-a-photographer.jpg]

•  Previous
  • 6(current)
  • Next